Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Great Park Adventure - Lonnie Wurn Boat Ramp

Today, the windiest day ever recorded (lie), we went to a park right on the St. Johns River, the Lonnie Wurn Boat Ramp! The park was completely graffiti-free and litter-free. SERIOUSLY. They have playground equipment, swings, slides, a covered pavilion, and a boat ramp. There are tennis courts and a pool adjacent to the park, but so is the Ft. Caroline Club, and I'm not exactly sure who owns what. :)

The only negative is that this park is also home to a gang of wily cats.... which somebody feeds. I didn't get a picture of it, but there are at least 10 of them, and at least that many cat food bowls set out just inside the park. So, if you are not a cat lover, don't go to Lonnie Wurn! They were nowhere near the playground equipment and paid us no mind, but you've been given fair warning.

This is another one of those places I remember from teenage shenaniganizing, but it looks like the city has done a really good job upgrading the fences to keep folks out at night. Way to go, COJ! Stick it to the teenagers! (For real.) ;)

I hope you enjoy our pictures. I added in a few extra special ones of myself...










You can tell it was windy just by how choppy the St. Johns River looks in this picture!






I tried going across on this zip line, but it was really rusty. I'd slide about 2 feet and LOUDLY SCREEEEEEECH to a stop, and do it again. ;)


Way harder than monkey bars.




Yes, I'm swinging on the swing next to her, while I let my 4-year-old push my 1-year-old. 





This girl KNOWS how to celebrate coming down a slide!













To illustrate the wind...


It made my face contort into weird positions.


Ahhhh, my eyes! (PS - it did smell kinda fishy at this park, don't know if that was the river or the cat food, though)


And, for fun, my post-park hairstyle.

Lonnie Wurn was tons of fun! Go check it out!

Here is the park's website, and its amenities are listed below.

Park Amenities

<
AmenityCount
Benches4
Boat docks1
Boat Ramps1
Boat Trailer Parking9
Car Parking12
Fishing Available
Manatee Education
Pedestrian Docks1
Perimeter Site Fencing
Picnic shelters1
Picnic Tables6
Playground Equipment3
Security Lighting

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this one is really pretty! I think we might have to trek out to that one! LOVE all the pics of the kiddos (and you of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know when you go! It's not far from me. :)

    ReplyDelete