Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Great Park Adventure - Atlantic Highlands Park and Brackridge Park

Today's park adventure was truly a comedy of errors. No worries, though, because I'm actually a "let's go for a drive" kinda gal, so I enjoy even doing that. ;)

We loaded up the van and headed out to Atlantic Highlands Park. On a whim, I decided to swing through the Starbucks drive-thru and treat myself to an iced chai latte (YUM). Ephraim was immediately begging for pumpkin bread, so I indulged him as well. Seemed like a fun day for a rare treat! Anyway, I doled out pieces of the pumpkin bread to my back-seat riders and drove on to the park. Then, I took a sip of my chai. Um, GROSS. It was not a chai latte. It was a latte, though. I don't do coffee. This was just yuck. I figured I'd just move on with my life and have fun at the park anyway.

This park is truly the most randomly located park I have visited so far. It had no sign marking its presence. Well, there was a park rules sign, but no familiar City of Jacksonville "Atlantic Highlands Park" sign. It was really just a playground in the middle of a trailer park. I have nothing against trailer parks, but this just felt like playing in someone else's yard. There were TONS of trees and shade, which is great in the hot sun; however, early on a muggy day, it just meant everything was SOAKING wet... and worse, MOSQUITO CENTRAL! It's right off the intracoastal, so I'm henceforth dubbing it "Swamp Park." ;) We seriously stayed there about 5 minutes, got 463 bug bites, and left. :) I'm thankful the city put the park there for the neighborhood kids, but I'm thinking it's not a big destination park for the rest of us. Honestly, I don't even know how I found it. I just turned right a few times, and drove on to some mud. hahah ;) Anyway, here are the pics!







Teenagers. (Don't you like how I always blame teenagers for everything that is wrong at city parks?. Let's get real, though. It's always them.)











I've never seen a swing like this at a park. Pretty cool looking, huh? If it weren't for the gallon of water and mosquito swarm, we might have tried it out. ;) 



I really took this picture for Spiderman. 


Anyway, since that park didn't work out for us, I decided I'd try again. First, though, I went back to Starbucks. We really hadn't been gone but a few minutes, so they happily replaced my latte with the correct order AND gave me a freebie for next time. Starbucks, for the win!

So, the only other park that popped into my head was one I'd looked at last night online. It was Brackridge Park. It's super far from where we were, but what did I have to lose? Sooooo.... we drove all the way from the intracoastal to Southside and Hogan.... only to find.....




CONSTRUCTION!


And one set of swings. 

We didn't bother getting out. There were a zillion construction workers, and since my big kid is still a bit hesitant about swings, I figured it wasn't worth all the gawking (that I'd be doing at them, of course). ;) 

I know I've been to this park for a couple of soccer games, and I'm thinking that is all it is used for at this point. So, if you like swings or soccer, go check it out!

Needless to say, our park adventure was more adventure than park today! Woops!

We came home and had an outdoor picnic to make up for it... sort of.

Anyway, here are the park websites and their amenities.


AmenityCount
Benches4
Car Parking1
Perimeter Site Fencing
Picnic shelters1
Picnic Tables3
Playground Equipment5
Trash Barrels3






AmenityCount
Bleachers8
Car Parking56
Concession Stand1
Multiuse Field1
Picnic Tables5
Playground Equipment1
Restrooms1
Security Lighting
Soccer4
Trash Barrels5


Better luck next week! ;)

1 comment:

  1. LOL teenagers!!!

    and for more amusement--my word verification was SNOCKET which make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete