Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Back to School - Week 1!

Well, we actually never stopped doing little lessons, but now that public school has started back, I decided to do a more formal lesson plan for Ephraim for Pre-K. We will be homeschooling him, and as a former teacher, I have lots of thoughts and ideas on the topic.

I am a fan of the Montessori method, Charlotte Mason style learning, whole language (or literature based) learning, crafts, hands-on activities, and child-led learning.

Also, I am a fan of plans and lists! ;) I have planned through the end of October, but obviously, these plans will morph and change as time goes on (especially science - since my plan is to follow his interests). My main focus is still on reading, and helping Ephraim to become a fluent reader. Everything else follows that, anyway!

I have purchased no formal curriculums, and honestly, after seeing most of them doing homeschool evaluations, there is nothing that I would be compelled to spend a fortune on. I will say, though, if you are not naturally organized or if you have lots of other young children, a highly structured curriculum may be right up your alley! Whatever you choose, do what works for YOUR family. I'll be sharing what works for ours!

If you'd like me to continue posting what we do, I will. As you can see below, some of the activities span the entire week. That is because, as I said, my main focus is READING. The other activities will take place on one or more of the days. The Bible lesson will be done by Quincy, and since there are many activities, children's Bibles, and other ways to easily supplement, they will talk about that particular lesson all week.

Here's week one!

3 comments:

  1. You look like you already have a great plan, but since you like Charlotte Mason style, I thought I'd mention amblesideonline.org has a free online Charlotte Mason curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks! Bookmarked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep the posts on what you do. I always love seeing how other moms do it so I can grab a smidge of inspiration in some areas. :)

    ReplyDelete