Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Book Project, Continued (Books 71-80)

I can't believe we've almost come to the end of our list! I love reading with Ephraim. We have actually even started reading some chapter books at nap time. Crazy! I can't believe how much he's growing up! I've also been checking out some Level 1 readers for him as well. FUN!

With all that said, I want to give a shout-out to the Jacksonville Public Library and encourage all local parents to get their children signed up for the summer reading program! You keep a list of the books your child reads (or that you read to your child) and show them your reading list for weekly coupons and prizes. Also, they've teamed up with Barnes and Noble to give each participant a free book at the end of summer! Read more about the summer reading program here, and sign up today! Check out the many summer library activities here. Also, we've been attending the Regency Branch Preschool Family Story Time each Wednesday at 10:15 a.m. for stories, music, and a craft. We'd be happy to see you there! It's less crowded than the Main library. :)

On to the book reviews!


My Review - This is a cute, lift-the-flap book about a little boy on the hunt for the perfect pet. It is perhaps a little below Ephraim's reading level, but Aspen did bark ferociously at the revealed puppy on the final page! ;) 

Ephraim's Review - Good, 'cause it has animals on it.


My Review - This is an EXCELLENT book for new readers! There were tons of words that Ephraim was able to read in this book, and the rhyming silly story is perfection. Yay Dr. Seuss!

Ephraim's Review - I think I want to hop on pop because I want to hop on pop. And guess what? I hop on his head! 


My Review - Naturally, I am a lover of this classic Christmas tale. Between reading this and "The Polar Express," I did have Ephraim asking me when Christmas was coming all week long. Christmas in July, perhaps?

Ephraim's Review - Bad! Because he stole all the presents, but at the end, he shared! It was good that he shared at the end.


My Review - This is a sweet, rhyming story of two friends on the hunt for various types of berries, with really cute illustrations. If your kids are berry lovers, check it out!

Ephraim's Review - I think I would have berries. Awkward! Silly man!


My Review - This was a silly story of a kitten who mistakes her first full moon for a bowl full of milk, and all the antics that ensue in her mission to take a lick from said bowl. Silly kitten! Ephraim and I shared a laugh over this one!

Ephraim's Review - Odd, odd, odd, odd, odd! Because he was trying to drink the milk and the moon was just plain!


My Review - I thought this book was so cute and funny! I am officially a Mo Willems fan! He also wrote "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus," which we loved. This is a cute story about a child, probably Aspen's age, who leaves behind her beloved toy and just has a fit about it. Eventually, the discover the problem, go find the toy, and "Knuffle Bunny" is the child's first word! Ephraim immediately said this book reminded him of Aspen. Me, too!

Ephraim's Review - She said "blah blah blah," and then her last word, she said, "Knuffle Bunny!" It kicked me off because it was so cool!


My Review - "Llama Llama Red Pajama" really did crack me up. It is a rhyming story about the typical nighttime routine of every mother and child. If you've ever mothered a little llama, you'll relate! :)

Ephraim's Review - That's silly because it's called Llama Llama Red Pajama, Momma, Momma!


My Review - This is another lift-the-flap book that is probably a bit below Ephraim's level, but is really cute nonetheless. Different animals are hiding behind each flap, and it's a great book for teaching little ones about animals. Aspen thought it was great! 

Ephraim's Review - I think I'm too tired to do this one.


My Review - This is a most-loved story in our home! I'll admit, we love the movie even more, but it is fun to read where it all started!

Ephraim's Review - That was awesome! I don't know why, it's just awesome!


My Review - Okay, I think that maybe these stories are a little TOO stupid for us. I honestly didn't even get some of it.? Some of the stories were cute and funny, though. I say check it out and read it. It may be right up your alley. It is totally out of the box of children's fiction!

Ephraim's Review - (Laughing!) That's stinky cheese!


My Review - "The Story of Ferdinand" has been around for a LONG time. Ferdinand is a gentle bull who is accidentally mistaken for a rowdy bullfighting opponent. His story will definitely make you smile!

Ephraim's Review - That's awkward because it's odd. Awkward, odd, awkward, odd! 

Just so you know, these are Ephraim's two favorite words right now. It's sometimes embarrassing... like when we were at the grocery store, he asked me for something, and I told him "No, that's junk." Then, someone else picked it up immediately, and he said, "Awkward!" Uhhh, yeah, it's not really junk. It's totally healthy for some people... uhhh... YOU made it awkward, Ephraim.! ;) 


AND... not on the list, but I think you should read "Not All Princesses Dress in Pink," by Jane Yolen. As a woman and former girl, it warmed my heart. I plan to read it to Aspen a few thousand times over the years!


No comments:

Post a Comment