Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Waiting Place

Have you read "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" yet? I sure hope so. If you haven't, here is the story without the pictures.

I love this book. It genuinely speaks straight to my heart. It is poignant and meaningful in my life right now. I read it to my son, speaking hope over his life, but I mostly read it because of what it means to me.

I feel like my life is kind of in the Waiting Place right now. In several respects, I am caught between the past and the future, living in a sort of timeless limbo... and I'm a terrible "waiter."



"The Waiting Place…for people just waiting. 

Waiting for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the    phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or No or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting.

Waiting for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite or waiting around for Friday night or waiting, 
perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or 
a wig with curls, or Another Chance. Everyone is just waiting."



The book makes the Waiting Place sound just awful, but God reminded me today of the beauty that exists even there. 

He is working, even while I'm waiting. He is orchestrating relationships with people who are healing our wounds without even realizing it. He is a healer, and His people are the hands that bring that healing. He is giving His people just the words we need to hear. He is for us, loving us, always. We never have to wait for that. 

The others alongside us, waiting "for a train to go or a bus to come, or a plane to go or the mail to come, or the rain to go or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow or waiting around for a Yes or No or waiting for their hair to grow... for the fish to bite or waiting for wind to fly a kite or waiting around for Friday night or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake or a pot to boil, or a Better Break or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants or a wig with curls, or Another Chance," are some of the most wonderful, beautiful people I've ever known. These are the broken people, the struggling people, the people fighting to make it through, the people trying to love well, the people working hard to pay the bills.... And they are beautiful. It is worth visiting the Waiting Place just to meet the people who are there. It might even be worth staying there if relationship with the fellow "waiters" is the reward.

I am usually torn between two extremes. One extreme tells me to GO! Get out of the Waiting Place. I can't handle any more waiting! I want the past to be done. I want its hurts to be completely buried. I want its struggles to be forever gone. The other extreme tells me to STAY! I want to wallow in some of the muck. I deserve nothing but am given mercy, so I should seek after something even more difficult. I suppose the "right" answer is somewhere in the middle. The right answer is to move forward while waiting, to be content while waiting, to appreciate the beauty in the season of waiting, to recognize that God loves me enough to push me and give me the opportunity to grow in the Waiting Place. 

Every minute that I am given in the Waiting Place, I am presented with several choices. I can ignore it. I can distract myself from it... or I can face it. I can face my waiting with my God and be shown something amazing. He is at work. My waiting is not in vain. Every single moment of my life is valuable to Him. He wants me to draw near to Him and find value in the menial. All things work together for my good, even my waiting. 

Anyway, if you are in the Waiting Place, you aren't alone. Get to know some of the folks who are waiting with you, and you just might find the place a little more bearable. I sure do. ;) 

I have to wrap this up with John Waller's "While I'm Waiting." Enjoy!

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord

And I am hopeful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience
While I'm waiting
I will serve You
While I'm waiting
I will worship
While I'm waiting
I will not faint
I'll be running the race
Even while I wait

I'm waiting
I'm waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I'm waiting on You, Lord
Though it's not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve You while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting
I will serve you while I'm waiting
I will worship while I'm waiting on You, Lord


2 comments:

  1. I love that book! My dance studio did a dance with someone reading that book and music remixed for each scene to go with it! I love your perspective on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the book but I've never read it. I will grab it tomorrow night for bedtime though.

    I was in a sort of waiting place, gosh almost ten years and I was in for about 3 years. Long but good story. And for one year, I was all alone. It was really, really, really tough. I wasn't doing good spiritually or really in any other aspect. Finally a friend joined me and we helped each other through it.

    Great perspective. Thanks for sharing and I'll definitely read it this week.

    ReplyDelete