Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Aspen's Coconut Cake... ANNNNND.... Coconut Marshmallow Fondant!

We are having a little celebration for Aspen's FIRST Birthday tomorrow! Holy Moly!

I thought I'd share about her cake, some risky experiments on my part, and SUCCESS!

As you may know, each member of our family has their own special birthday cake. We stole this idea from Paula Deen. She's genius wrapped in butter. Aspen's particular birthday cake is also known as "Jamie's Coconut Cake," a la Paula Deen. So here's the thing. I love good-tasting cakes. I also love good-looking cakes. It is sometimes hard to have both. Good old buttercream is the icing of decorators, but in my own opinion, it is not the tastiest. I decided to plunge in and take some risks with Aspen's cake this year. I wanted the deliciousness AND the cuteness, and I think I got it!

In the original recipe, the icing is a meringue covered in sweetened coconut. That's exactly what I did, as you see below. I actually doubled the recipe and made a 2-layer 11x15 cake.  The other reason I took a picture at this point was just in case the thing I tried next did not work out. At least the party guests could see a picture of what the cake would've looked like and tasted it through imagination!



I made a batch of COCONUT marshmallow fondant. It is DELICIOUS. I could seriously sit down and eat the whole ball by itself. Under the right circumstances, I might do just that.

Here's how I made it.

COCONUT Marshmallow Fondant:
  • 15 oz marshmallows
  • 2 TBS water 
  • 1/2 tsp salt 
  • 2-1/2 tsp coconut extract
  • 2 tsp light corn syrup 
  • 1 tsp vanilla 
  • 2 lbs confectioners sugar, sifted 
  • Crisco for greasing hands, work surface, and tools
Grease microwave-safe bowl with Crisco. Also grease wooden spoon, bowl of KitchenAid mixer, and dough hook of KitchenAid mixer. Pour marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave at 30 second intervals, approximately 4-5 times, stirring between each interval. 

Take out of microwave and pour melted marshmallows into mixer. Immediately add salt, coconut extract, corn syrup, and vanilla. Mix well. Gradually add confectioners sugar and mix well.

You may have to finish it up by kneading it with your hands. Grease hands and work surface prior to doing so. Form the fondant into a “brick,” double wrap in Saran wrap and store inside a gallon storage bag. Enjoy!




So, back to Aspen's cake. I took the risk and put the fondant right on top of the coconut. I left the fondant a bit thicker than I would normally do on top of buttercream, and this helped to mask the little bumps that the coconut created. I made her cake as inspired by her birthday invitation, designed by Quincy.


(I cropped our address and pertinent information for the sake of all my internet stalkers. Foiled again! HA!)

And... here's the cake!




For her smash cake, I just made a small round coconut cake and a batch of coconut-flavored buttercream. I slapped that on a little cake and added a coconut #1, some dots, and a border. Voila!



I'm looking forward to watching her tear into that. She will make a total mess, guaranteed.

Happy Birthday Little Lady! :)


2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Brave women with the fondant over that perfect coconut, but it worked!!! BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I despise coconut but both cakes are really cute!!

    ReplyDelete