Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Quilted Advent Calendar and Advent Traditions

Only a little bit late! I actually finished this on December 4th but haven't made time to blog it yet. I LOVE how it turned out. Each of the squares is a pocket, with the numbered date embroidered on it. It was a great opportunity to play with the embroidery feature on my machine and learn about placement, etc. I intentionally put the numbers in random spots on each square so that I wouldn't feel too much pressure to get it exactly right!




I made this quilt by slightly varying a pattern from Oh, Fransson! She makes the most amazing quilts. Seriously. Go look at the Tokyo subway map quilt. It's out of control! I should also say that the free motion/stippling feature on my new machine is SO much better than my old machine. I LOVE it. It has actually inspired me to make another quilt. I'll show you my conceptual ideas soon, but I think it's high time for Spiderman to have his own big boy quilt!

Anyway, inside each of the pockets are several things. First, there is a scripture reading from Thriving Family. Next up, there is an activity (some of which are pretty ambitious) from Family Fun. Finally, a little piece of candy. Fun! :) 

For the past few years, we have also read an advent storybook called "Jotham's Journey" by Arnold Ytreeide. I cannot emphasize enough how EXCELLENT this book is! It is exciting and so hard to put down. He leaves you with a cliffhanger every day, and it ends on Christmas morning with the birth of Christ (sorry if that's a spoiler, but you'd probably figure that out anyway)!


Well, Arnold Ytreeide also wrote two other advent storybooks, "Bartholomew's Passage," and "Tabitha's Travels." We got both of them, and this year we are giving "Bartholomew's Passage" a whirl. It's been really exciting so far! I highly, highly, highly recommend these books. They are such awesome ways to understand the culture and time of Christ's birth through story, and for children really to invest in excitement and world-changing nature of the birth of Jesus. If you are behind but are considering buying them anyway, DO IT. You will NOT regret it. In fact, you'll probably be happy that you get to keep reading and don't have to break for the day at each cliffhanger!


If you buy these books, please tell me what you think, and let me know when you are caught up so we can chat! I really cannot say enough what an excellent story "Jotham's Journey" is, and I'll be sure to give you a full review of "Bartholomew's Passage" after the holidays!

Happy Advent Season, my friends!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the advent quilt!!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt!!! I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I {Heart} the quilt!! SOOO Awesome!! And I've written down those books for us to look into. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete