Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Holiday Tunes and a Life Uncommon

Tonight, one of the activities from our advent calendar was to sing "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing." This is, by far, my favorite Christmas carol. This is the song that I love to sing and hear during the holidays. Particularly, I love Jewel's version of the song. I may have just revealed myself as a huge dork, but I love Jewel. I think she is really talented.


I'm a sucker for people with a voice and an acoustic guitar. To this day, her "Spirit" CD is still one of my favorites.


I don't particularly love "poppy" Jewel, but alas... 

I haven't listened to her recent "country" stuff, so I'll get back to you on my feelings about that.

Anyway, the songs on the Christmas album are as follows.
1.  Joy to the World
2.  O Holy Night
3.  Silent Night
4.  Winter Wonderland
5.  O Little Town of Bethlehem
6.  Ave Maria
7.  Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
8.  Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
9.  Face of Love
10. Medley - Go Tell it on the Mountain, Life Uncommon, From a Distance
11. I Wonder as I Wander
12. Gloria
13. Hands

On this album, "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" is my favorite song. Probably my second favorite is the medley of "Go Tell it on the Mountain, Life Uncommon, and From a Distance." I really love the song "Life Uncommon," and it is also found on her "Spirit" CD. I was listening to a particular line from this song tonight and thinking about how powerful it is, and how true. The line says, "No longer lend your strength to that which you wish to be free from. Fill your lives with love and bravery, and you shall lead a life uncommon."  

How often do we give power to things that enslave us? ...things like guilt, shame, pride, worry, stress... instead of allowing God to use His strength through us to lead a life uncommon. At the end of my days, I hope to have led a life uncommon. I hope that my strength and energy have been devoted to love and bravery. I hope that I can look back and see that all of my peaks and valleys were for God's glory, that He truly received the glory, and that He fought the good fight on my behalf. I hope I leave a legacy of love for my children. I hope that I teach them to be fearless. I hope that I've taught them to step out and take the crazy leaps of faith that God has for them, and that this is more important and better than being careful, tentative, or fearful. 

If I hope for this to be my legacy, I suppose it is my decision to live it out before them. The fact is, they'll do what I do. They'll know to pray instead of being afraid, if their mom shows them that she prays instead of being afraid. They'll know not to worry if I don't worry. They'll know to share hope with the people that they meet if they see me sharing hope with the people that I meet. They'll know to give sacrificially if they see me giving sacrificially. They'll know to be kind if they see me being kind. I already see (and hear) my son mimicking me, and he's only three. I know this will multiply over the years. When I have the children God has entrusted to me in the forefront of my mind, I am pushed toward holiness. I truly believe God gives us children for this very purpose. Yes, we are to teach them, but oh how God uses them to grow us! They are a blessing indeed, because they push us closer to the heart of our Father. I hope to lead a life uncommon for the sake of my God and for the sake of His children.  

"The Lord has not given us a spirit of fear, but one of power, of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment