Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Gut Check

Today, Ephraim asked me to read "Love You Forever" to him again at nap time. Yesterday was my first time reading it, and I choked up during the story. Today was much worse.

As we were reading, Ephraim asked me why the mom grew older and got sick. I was trying to gently explain that aging and death are part of our lives. Tears started welling up in his eyes, and the corners of his mouth turned down as he started to cry. I said, "Oh no, what's wrong?!?" He replied, "I will miss you if you die. I don't want you to die." I held him and rocked him, as I tried to reassure him. I held him until he fell asleep, as I tried to keep it together myself. There is nothing worse than seeing your child sad.

My thoughts kept going back to my sweet friend, Joy, who is dealing with this issue in a very real way. Her little Benjamin suddenly and unexpectedly had to say goodbye to his daddy. I'm sure that along with the hurt and sadness of the loss of her husband, the pain of watching her child hurt is just as awful, if not worse. I prayed with Ephraim, and I prayed for Joy, Benjamin, and Timothy today. May our God truly be a "father to the fatherless, a defender of the widows, God in His holy dwelling." Psalm 68:5

2 comments:

  1. I read that story to Isabella a lot when she was an infant. It just reminds me of God's unconditional love for us. But I cry every single time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ephraim is too sweet.

    Loving that verse!

    ReplyDelete