Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Confessions of a Checklist Addict

Uh... I've started a new project. :/

Don't worry, I'm still doing the Great Park Adventure! (You were really worried, I know.)

I take Ephraim to the library every week and always just randomly choose books to read. I thought it would be good to do a little online research to figure out what books are on the "must read" list! I found this site with the Top 100 Children's Books of All Time. It's just a random website, so I don't know who is the authority on this matter, but I figured I'd just go with it. I put the first ten books on hold (except for a couple that the library did not have in their system) and picked them up this morning. I considered doing Caldecott winners or something like that, and maybe I will after I finish off this checklist. ;)

This is what we got today.


  • "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" by Judith Viorst. I remember this one from when I was little!

  • "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" by Judi Barrett. I knew there was a movie with this title, but I honestly had no idea there was a book... and it was published in 1978!


\

  • "Goodnight Moon" by Margaret Wise Brown. Classic.

  • "Guess How Much I Love You" by Sam McBratney. Also a classic, sweet tale.



  • "The Giving Tree" By Shel Silverstein. I love, love, love this book. We really should own it.



  • "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" by Eric Carle. This is a cute book that we've read several times, which I also know has served as great inspiration to many a crafter!


  • "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. Did you guys see this movie? I found it slightly disappointing because it was a little too dark for my little one. Ya know?. Love the book, though!

  • Finally, and most embarrassing, "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch. Why embarrassing? Well, when you put things on hold at the library, they set them all aside for you on a shelf with your name. I found all the books except this one. Why? Because it was the GINORMOUS story-reader version that a librarian or school teacher would use for story time in class so that all the kids could see the pictures. hahah! I had NO idea. Oh well. Ephraim was THRILLED.



I could not find "Pat the Bunny" in the online library catalog, and for some reason, I was unable to put "Green Eggs and Ham" on hold. 

We also checked out a couple of Christmas crafts for kids books and Christmas music CDs. 

I am really looking forward to reading through these books with Ephraim. I just love a project, and a checklist! :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh man, do I love children's books! I'm taking a class at BU on Children's Literature in the spring. Looks like that list should keep you busy for a while, but let me know when you're ready for a new list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love most of those books & can't wait to read them with Lincoln in the near future. The only ones we've read from this list so far are "Love You Forever" and "Guess How Much I Love You." Every time I read the latter I think of the Fosters and laugh. If you don't know why, you should ask Janice to tell you how they probably scarred Ian for life with that one. lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love, love, love The Giving Tree and Guess How Much I Love You!!!

    I don't love "Love You Forever" although I have read your post after this one. For some reason, the mom sneaky into the son's house when he's older to rock him kinda weirds me out. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "Love you forever" Can't read it to Noah without tearing up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE goodnight moon. :) And of course, the giving tree.

    ReplyDelete