Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

'Tis the Season

For yarncrafts! Yay! (I will forever think at Eva when I look at yarn patterns, just so you know.)


Anyway, Aspen has about a billion crochet hats that I made before she was born. They are a bit too small for her head now, so as we were heading out the door to the Finch-Schmidt wedding on Friday night, I grabbed the little black one, a crochet hook, and some extra yarn. I added a little decorative edge, and voila! The hat was instantly big enough. Perhaps the wedding photog caught a glimpse of it because I sure didn't! Aspen is not such a fan of hats, bows, headbands, or really much of anything on her head right now. Alas... I did this same thing with a purple hat on another car ride. I fully expect to be doing this to all the hats as the occasion arises, regardless of the fact that I fully understand that she will not wear it for even one second. She should at least HAVE her accessories, right?.


I realized that she doesn't have a brown hat, though. I grabbed some brown yarn, (I have quite a yarn inheritance, mind you.) and I crocheted away! I didn't really follow a pattern. That's one of the things I really love about crochet. It's quick, simple, easy to undo your mistakes, and totally fun to do on the fly. If I had to guesstimate, I would say that the pattern went something like this.


Materials:  Medium worsted weight yarn, and size G crochet hook. 
Size:  I'm guessing this is around a 12-month size?.


Please forgive me if this seems totally insane. I've never really attempted to write down a crochet pattern before. If you try it, please let me know about my mistakes!


Beginning at the top of the hat, ch. 4. Sl st in first ch to form ring.
Round 1:  Ch 2. Work 7 dc in the ring. Join with a sl st in the first dc.
Round 2:  Ch 2. Work 2 dc in each st around. Join with a sl st in first dc.
Round 3:  Ch 2. Work dc in first st, *2dc in next st, dc in next st, repeat from * around ending with 2dc in last st, join with a sl st in first dc.
Round 4:  Ch 2. Work dc in first st, *dc in first 2 st, 2 dc in next, repeat from * around ending with 2 dc in last st, join with a sl st in the first dc.
Round 5:  Ch 2. Work dc in first st, *dc in first 3 st, 2 dc in next, repeat from * around ending with 2 dc in last st, join with a sl st in the first dc.
Rounds 6-11:  Ch 2. Dc in each st around.
Round 12:  Ch 2. *Skip next st, dc in next, ch 2, repeat from * around, ending with a dc in last st, ch 2, and sl st in first ch space.
Round 13:  Ch 1. Work 2 sc in each ch sp around, ending with a sl st in first sc.
Round 14:  Ch 2. Dc in each st around, ending with a sl st in first dc.
Round 15:  Ch 1. Sc in each st around, ending with a sl st in first sc. Fasten off.




It obviously needs a flower... soooo... for the flower, you need medium worsted weight yarn and a G hook. Really, you could make a flower like this with any size/type yarn or hook. These flowers are super easy and could be adapted to any size. Here's how I did it.


Ch 17.
Round 1. Dc in 5th ch from hook, *make a V-stitch, which is ch 1, skip 1, (dc-ch-dc) in next ch, repeat from * across. Turn.
Round 2. Ch 2, 5 dc first in ch space, *sc in next ch 1 space, 6 dc in next ch 1 space (like a shell border), repeat from *, ending 6 dc in last ch 1 space. Fasten off, leaving long tail for sewing the flower. At this point, it will look like a long curlicue. 




Roll the flower into a beautiful little rose, and sew it up with your yarn tail. Thread the long tail onto a yarn needle. Sew the tail of the thread up and down through the flower to secure it how you like it. Done!





Personally, I am hesitant to permanently attach my flowers to anything (crochet or otherwise). I therefore decided to hot glue it to a barrette. 



I can then attach the barrette to the hat, a headband, or it can be used as a future hairbow (if my daughter ever gets enough hair and/or allows it! hahaha)


Here's my finished product! I think it turned out beautiful!

And now, for your enjoyment... my attempts with an unwilling model.








Man, she's cute! Love that kid! 

Happy crafting!

2 comments:

  1. adorable kid! adorable hat!
    good job mom on both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that is a stinkin' cute hat! And kid! :-)

    And oh my, I got a good laugh at your Eva comment above! HA HA HA!!! Good times!!

    ReplyDelete