Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Birthday Pie!

One of our family traditions is that each member of the family has their own special cake that is made ONLY for that person's birthday. Aspen has a coconut cake, Ransom has a sweet baby carrot cake, Ephraim has a hummingbird cake, I have a German chocolate cake, and Quincy... well, Quincy has pumpkin pie. It's his favorite, so I couldn't force a cake on him when he really wants pie. ;)

Ephraim helped me make it this morning, and we had a bit after lunch. Delish!





Ephraim helped his daddy blow out the candle. :)

So this is kind of anticlimactic as recipes go, but I figured I'd share it anyway. :) It's just a regular ol' pumpkin pie recipe. Quick and easy. I don't even make a homemade crust. This year I used a refrigerated Pillsbury crust from the dairy cooler at Publix, and it was REALLY good! :)


I have three pie crusts left, so I'll be making a few more pies for Thanksgiving! :) (They were on sale, and I had coupons! hahah)

Ingredients

  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

  • Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Whisk pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, spices and salt in medium bowl until smooth. Pour into crust. Bake 15 minutes.
  2. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted 1 inch from crust comes out clean. Cool. Garnish as desired. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator.

We always serve it with Cool Whip. Yum. :)


For the record, I am of the opinion that Paula Deen's Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes are FAR superior to pumpkin pie. I'll take a Pumpkin Gooey over Pumpkin Pie any day, but Quincy's old skool, and since it is HIS birthday... well... he gets a sub-par pumpkin treat. ;) Happy Birthday, Quincy!

4 comments:

  1. HA HA: "sub-par pumpkin treat". Funny!

    Not much of a pumpkin pie fan myself but would be willing to try some pumpkin gooey cake! Unless of course there's cream cheese in it. If that's the case, no thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try the pumpkin gooey cakes this week!! I'm going to look up the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SO MUCH for posting this. I LOVE the Pillsbury Pie crusts & they are on sale at Publix PLUS have $1 off coupons on the boxes too! I just don't know how to make pumpkin pie (and we want at least 2 for Thanksgiving). Perfect timing. Thanks Q for being born & liking pie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your family tradition of each person has their special cake/pie!

    ReplyDelete