Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Three Years Old

Ephraim's birthdays feel bittersweet to me. I love that my son is growing up, and I enjoy having fun with him on his special day, but I am also reminded how very quickly his time with me will pass. Three years have already FLOWN by! I can't believe I've been a mom for 3 years. Then again, I feel like I'm one of those people who was born 30, so I also kind of feel like I've been a mom forever.

Ephraim's first year of life was sweet, beautiful, momentous, and life-changing. Babies grow and change SO much in that time, and firstborn children change their parents lives dramatically. Honestly, one of the biggest changes was the whole "run-to-the-store" idea. The time required for this process considerably increased, and everything we did was timed around feedings and sleep. During that time, the Lord used Ephraim to make us more sacrificial, less selfish, and to give us a new perspective on His feelings for us. God knows what we need, and He is faithful.

Ephraim's second year of life was marked with a tremendous and rapid growth in intelligence and communication. It was so much fun to watch his personality emerge. He continued to to require more of us as parents, and God continued to use him to grow us and teach us. He was a huge comfort to us when we lost Ransom. Somehow, he knew just what to do and where to be. I'll never forget the morning after finding out that we lost Ransom. Ephraim came toddling into our room carrying his clothes, matching clothes nonetheless. It was as if God was using him to tell us, "You still have to go on. You still have to get out of bed. You still have to dress this son of yours. He needs you. Press on." I know that loss would have been so much harder if we hadn't had our big boy to be there for us. God knows what we need, and He is faithful.

The third year of Ephraim's life brought new difficulties with learning to discipline, teach, and train him. He required a new and different kind of focus and work. But the third year of his life was also the FUNNIEST! I'm telling you, my kid is hilarious! My sarcasm has rubbed off on him, big time (which I admit is often not-so-cute). His imagination is boundless, and he tells some crazy stories. He's also got this kind of freaky memory. Just yesterday, he asked Quincy if he remembered when it was Quincy's birthday (Quincy's - Nov. 22), and we went to his "blue work," (a place he subcontracts at) and ate cake, and Quincy gave him a carrot. hahaha. How does he remember that?!?! I also love one of his oft-used terms, "lasterday," which is analagous to "yesterday," and actually makes good sense. Ephraim's second birthday was bittersweet because it was also Ransom's due date. How intricately our God weaves the story of our lives. God knows what we need, and He is faithful.

I can't wait to see what the future brings for our son. At his birth, Quincy prayed Luke 1:13-17 over him. "You will have a son... He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from his mother's womb. Many of the people of Israel will he bring back to the Lord their God. And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord." I've kept an index card with this scripture on my bathroom mirror since I was pregnant with him and continue to pray this for him. There's nothing I want more for my son than for him to love the Lord. Hopefully we will point him in the right direction, and when we fail, God's grace will make up the difference! God knows what we need, and He is faithful.

Happy Birthday, Ephraim! God knows what you need, and He is faithful!









5 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post and how I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your wise beautiful boy!

    Man, time does fly! Thankful for the memories and markers God gives us along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this made me tear up. What a beautiful post! Happy Birthday, Ephraim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every child should be lucky enough to have parents that love them as much as you and quincy love your children. Cherish ever moment the good and the bad, it passes by so quickly.

    ReplyDelete