Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Craftspiration

I have a new crafting venue to pursue. I've done some hand embroidery in the past (very little), and it turned out SO cute.

This was a quilt square that I appliqued and hand embroidered for the quilt for Sharon, from the "MOMS."  It has a blanket stitch around the borders and free-handed lettering. It says "Ephraim Alston" and has his birthday, April 20, 2007. He will be THREE YEARS OLD TOMORROW!!! Holy cow! How have I been a mom for 3 years!?!? Anyway, Ephraim's room is green and has this tree theme going on, so the tree kind of represents him in my mind. Also, his name means "fruitful."


Quincy actually made this square, sewing machine and all! It is for our little stillborn son, Ransom. The blue bird represents him. If you've seen Quincy's tattoo, you'll know why.

Matthew 10:29-31 - "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."
(And that was a little bit of old-fashioned digression.)

I did hand embroider Ransom's name on the square above, though.


Finally, and FAVORITELY, Aspen's square. I have to admit, I was pretty nervous making this one. She wasn't born yet, and as you may or may not know, we did not have an ultrasound to "confirm" her sex, as we felt the Lord had already done so. Since it was going to be a permanent part of a quilt, I had a few moments of hesitation! hahah But I'm glad I did it! Turned out SO cute. It is appliqued and a blanket stitch was added around the edges. Then I hand embroidered her name.

Here's a picture of the finished quilt, in case you were curious. Several moms made squares, and we assembled them into a quilt to give to Sharon for Christmas.


Anyway, I also made a few aprons at Christmas. They had a pocket with a "reindeer" on it. The reindeer was made of Ephraim's footprint and hand prints traced on fabric. I used a blanket stitch around that as well, and embroidered "Merry Christmas! Ephraim 2009" on each of them. One was for my mom, one was for Quincy's mom, and one was for me.  (I would've put the pictures, but I couldn't get them turned the right direction. hahahah!)

So this is my new idea. I would like to do an embroidery hoop wall!


This is really cute, and actually is "no embroidery necessary!" It's just scraps of fabric inside embroidery hoops, which are SUPER cheap, by the way. Lord knows I have tons of fabric scraps, so certainly some of them will be like this.



But this owl is also awesome!

And these adorable birds!

And, you know, a thousand other things...

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is adorable!!! I love the owl!! I like what your source for the embroidery hoop said, We can do it! HA

    I also love your squares and love the fact that Quincy did one! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete